ECDIS Generic Annual Competency Assurance Training
Welcome to your Annual ECDIS Competency Assurance Training, or ECDIS ACAT as it is better known.
The course is designed to refresh yourself with the ECDIS Generic course.
It ensures that the officers understand:
- Operate the ECDIS equipment, use the navigational functions of ECDIS, select and assess all relevant information and take proper action in the case of a malfunction.
- State the potential errors of displayed data and the usual errors of interpretation.
- Explain why ECDIS should not be relied upon as the sole reliable aid to navigation.
The course takes between 1 to 2 days on average, and may require the seafarer to have direct access to their ECDIS to help answer some of the questions that they must all pass to receive their certificate.
The course modules are:
- Concept and Capability
- Principle Types of Electronic Charts
- Legal Aspects
- ECDIS Data
- Adding Information and Manual Corrections
- Defining Safe Water
- Limiting Danger Lines and Clearing Bearings
- Presentation of Data
- Route Planning
- Route Monitoring
- Chart Updating
- Errors and Alarms
- Voyage Data Recording
- Backup Systems
- Confined Waters Planning
- Poistion Fixing
- Consolidation Test
Regardless of where or when previous ECDIS training has taken place, this course is designed to consolidate their knowledge.