Welcome to your Annual ECDIS Competency Assurance Training, or ECDIS ACAT as it is better known.
This course was designed to ensure Officers are competent in the key operations of their ECDIS.
It was produced in conjunction with the top 20 questions used for inspections designed by ECDIS Ltd.
It ensures that the Officers:
- Understand the key functions for safe navigation.
- Are prepared for PSC or an independent audit or inspection.
- Are refreshed in their knowledge of key menus and operational capability of the ECDIS.
- Are company compliant in ECDIS through assessments.
The course takes 60 minutes on average and may require the seafarer to have direct access to their ECDIS to help answer some of the questions to receive their certificate.
The course modules are:
- ECDIS Data
- Presentation of Data
- Chart Management
- Navigation Tools
- Route Planning
- Route Monitoring
- Voyage and Data Log Recording
- ECDIS Security and Final Test
The training modules display the actual make and model, with the aim of highlighting the key menus and functions through ‘interactive visual aids’. These are activated by the operator and cross checked on the ECDIS onboard.
On screen text is kept to a minimum as the aim of ECDIS ACAT is to provide evidence that the operator is competent in their use of ECDIS.
Regardless of when or where previous ECDIS training has taken place, this course is designed to consolidate knowledge.